Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Pub

  » Contact Us

  » Support This Site


Share |

Home > Essex > Romford

Lost Pubs In Romford, Essex

Romford was a large village in Essex which was granted a charter for a market in 1247. As the charter forbade, and still forbids, the holding of any other market within six miles of Romford this meant many local farmers came to Romford to sell their produce and buy fresh stocks and equipment. Romford also became an important coaching stop on routes from London to East Anglia. 
 
Both these factors meant that Romford received a lot of visitors and lead to it having a large number of pubs in the High Street and adjoining Market Place. These factors declined in importance from Victorian times onwards which lead to a decline in the number of pubs. In some cases the licences were surrendered and used to licence new pubs built as Romford expanded. By the 1960s Romford was swallowed up in the expansion of Greater London but the market still takes place on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays although most of the stalls merely sell cheap clothes and household goods, similar to any other street market. There are still two pubs in Market Place and quite a few in surrounding streets
 
One of the former pubs, the Star, had a brewhouse attached and it was bought by Edward Ind in 1799. This became the Ind Coope brewery which eventually closed in 1993. The brewery site became a shopping centre although some traces of the brewery remain in the High Street.

Name Year Closed Information
Angel Angel Yard, High Street.
Bow & Arrow 1997 156 Straight Roadm Harold Hill.

Coach & Bell

c.1966 High Street.

Cock & Bell

1908 Market Place.
Compasses London Road.
Custom House   72-74 South Street.

Dolphin

1900 Market Place.

Drovers Arms

1875 Market Place.

Duckwood Inn

  59 Whitchurch Road, Harold Hill.

Duke Of Wellington

1967 44 Market Place.

Hogshead

2008 South Street. Now reopened!

Kings Arms

1889 Market Place.

Kings Head

c.1970 28 Market Place.

Kings Head

  Mercury Gardens.
Laurie Arms   Waterloo Road.
Liberty Arms Waterloo Road.

 

Old Oak

  279 South Street. Now reopened as The Havering Oak.

Morris Dancer

  Melsham Close.

New Mill

  High Street.

Northern Star

1898 Mawney Road.

Parkside

  290 North Street.

Pig In The Pound

1960s Market Place.
Plough 2007 Colchester Road.
Pompadours 2016 Edenhall Road.
Red House 19th c. High Street.

Queens Head

  Market Place.
Romford Arms   High Street.

Royal Oak

1985 Victoria Road.
Ship High Street.
Squirrels   420 Brentwood Road.
Star Inn 1933 High Street.

Three Crowns

1878 Market Place.
White Hart 2012 15 High Street.

White Swan

1967 Market Place.  

Windmill & Bells

1906 Market Place.

Woolpack

  High Street.

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information or photographs of closed or lost pubs in Romford? Become a contributor and submit them here.
Like this site? Recommend us via the social networking share button on the left hand side of the page, or follow us on or


 

xt/javascript" src