» Main Index

  » Search This Site

  » Submit Update

  » Contact Us

Home > Derbyshire > Chesterfield > The Peacock

The Peacock

The Peacock, Chesterfield

Date of photo: 1960s

Picture source: picturethepast.org.uk


 
The Peacock was situated at 67 Low Pavement. The existence of the timber-framing was only confirmed because of a major fire in February 1974, causing the closure of the pub. It is now used as a cafe.
 
A grade-II listed 16th century timber framed building on the site of at least 2 earlier buildings. The blue plaque declares that it is a 'Mediaeval House Possible Guildhall 1500 A.D.' A picture reportedly taken in the 1960s shows a very different Peacock Inn with different fenestration including two dormers and a large almost central doorway and no sign of the timber framing. The section of building that the blue plaque is attached to did not exist at the time of this picture. The pub closed in 1974. Sherds of Romano-British vessels were found here during excavations in the 1970s. Consulting directories, many have the Peacock in New Square (NS) except the Post Office who show Low Pavement (LP), here are some entries, 1828-1829 William Richardson NS, 1835 Thomas Roberts NS, 1842 Thomas Stanton NS, 1855 Henry Conway (& miller) LP, 1870 Henry Asquith NS, 1891-1895 Alexander Bowler LP and 1912 Alfred Norton now 67 Market Place.
Steve Turner (December 2021)
 
Listed building details:
C16 timber framed building on site of at least 2 earlier buildings. Street facade, plastered 1st floor, ground floor has tiled mid C19 public house front with entablature and panelled pilasters. Large coved eaves, steeply pitched slate roof, brick chimneys. 2 storeys, cellars and 2 dormers. 2 bays but originally of at least 3 bays, eastern part now lost and eastern end wall, boarded over timber frame. 2 windows those of 1st floor contemporary oriels extending through coving to eaves. Ground floor has elliptically arched windows flanking centre round arched door with 7 panels, the top panel semi-circular. Door set in moulded architrave. Internally, substantial timber framing visible - front wall replaced but wall posts - curved to brace jetty remain. 3 of 4 corner posts visible on stone footing. Rest of ground floor now generally of stone or brick. Ceiling beams intact with stopped chamfers and centre chamfered beam extending across width of building, 1st floor has later ceiling inserted above tie beams. Western rear timber framed extension probably carried earlier staircase. (Present earlier/mid C19 dog leg staircase beyond, has continuous handrail and iron balusters). 1st floor internal walls have close studding exposed with tall panels grooved to take thin stone slab infill lath and plaster infill around windows and coving. Butt purlin roof with double purlins tenoned into trusses, arched wind braces and collars.
 

Do you have any anecdotes, historical information, updates or photos of this pub? Become a contributor by submitting them here. Like this site? Follow us on
Make email contact with other ex-customers and landlords of this pub by adding your details to this page .
 
Other Photos

Picture source: Darkstar